Volunteer Firefighters & Ambulance Workers
Volunteer Firefighters & Ambulance Workers Exemption
- Real Property owned by an enrolled member of the Freeport Fire Department shall be exempt from taxation by the Incorporated Village of Freeport to the extent of ten percent of the assessed value of such property, exclusive of special assessments.
- To receive the exemption, you must be certified as an active member of the Freeport Fire Department for at last five years and the property must be your primary residence. The exemption has other requirements. Please check with the Village Assessor's Office for details.
- Applications must be received in the Assessor's Office by October 1. Applications received after October 1 will not be considered, even if they are postmarked prior to October 1.
- If you already receive such an exemption, a renewal application will be mailed to you each year in July. If you don't have such an exemption, but want to apply, request an application from:
Village of Freeport
46 North Ocean Avenue
Freeport, NY 11520
- For those enrolled members of the Freeport Fire Department who have accrued more than 20 years of active service, application for the annual renewal is not necessary.
- All exemptions are shown on the assessment roll as assessed value. To calculate the tax savings for any exemption:
- Divide the Exempt Assessed Value by 100, then multiply the result times the Tax Rate.
- A Village tax exemption does not apply to taxes based on the Nassau County Assessment Roll. You should also apply to the Nassau County Department of Assessment for any exemption offered by the County and applicable to your property. Deadlines and procedures may be different. Check with the Nassau County Department of Assessment at 516-571-1500 for additional information.