How to Respond to Summons
The Freeport Village Court is part of the Unified Court System of the State of New York. It hears all matters involving summonses for parking offenses, building violations, New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law violations, village ordinances and other matters New York State has placed under Village jurisdiction.
Our current Village Justice is Honorable V. Roy Cacciatore and our Associate Village Justice is Susan B. Lyons
Court is normally in session every week on Monday evenings,
Wednesday and Thursday Mornings at the courtroom in Village Hall. The Court Clerk's office is open weekdays 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. to accept payment of fines and to provide information about cases.
You may respond to a summons in the following ways:
- You may appear in person on the Court date that appears below the court address on the Summons and plead guilty or not guilty
- You may plead guilty by mail
- You may plead not guilty by mail
If you plead guilty or not guilty by mail BEFORE the court date listed on your summons you DO NOT HAVE to appear in court on the court date.
If you plead not guilty by mail you will be notified by mail at your address registered with the NYS DMV of the date for a conference with the Village Prosecutor and a Judge.
If you appear in-person you must do so on the court date listed on your summons right below the court address.
Appropriate attire is required.
Pleas of Guilty by mail:
You may plead guilty by mail to most offenses, however:
YOU MAY NOT PLEAD "GUILTY" BY MAIL AND MUST APPEAR IN PERSON
If you are charged any with the following:
A 3rd SPEEDING OFFENSE WITHIN THE PAST 18 MONTHS
- ANY SPEEDING OFFENSE IN EXCESS OF 55 MPH
- SPEEDING IN A SCHOOL ZONE OR PASSING A
STOPPED SCHOOL BUS
- ANY MISDEMEANOR OFFENSE
- A VIOLATON OF NYS VTL 319-1, NO INSURANCE
- A VILLAGE ORDINANCE
- OR IF YOUR PLEA IS NOT ACCEPTED AND YOU ARE ORDERED TO APPEAR BY THE JUDGE
Acceptable proof of insurance:
If you receive a ticket for "no insurance" (VT L 319-1), THE ONLY PROOF OF INSURANCE THE COURT WILL ACCEPT IS A LETTER FROM YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY, STATING THE VEHICLE IN QUESTION WAS INSURED, WITH NO LAPSE IN COVERAGE, ON THE DATE INDICATED ON THE SUMMONS.
AN INSURANCE CARD WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AS PROOF OF INSURANCE BY THE COURT.
A LETTER FROM AN INSURANCE BROKER WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
To plead guilty by mail:
Mail the following items to the Freeport Village Court:
- Your traffic summons with "GUILTY PLEA" completed and signed.
- A stamped, self-addressed envelope for your receipt- if not included = no receipt
- The Court will notify you of the fine by mail.
- Money Orders or Bank Checks should be made payable to Freeport Village Court, in the amount of the fine within the specified time indicated on the fine notice. Personal Checks not accepted.
If you receive a summons for operating an unregistered or uninspected vehicle, please forward a copy of the valid registration or inspection along with the summons to the above court.
To plead not guilty by mail:
FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTONS ON PART B OF YOUR SUMMONS
If you have any questions, you may call (516) 377-2329, 8:30 am - 4:00 pm Mon-Fri.